Friday, September 11, 2009


Performance Art
Original by Kenyetta Chinwe(Angela Y. Brown)


My performance art
Is my performance heart
Pretending to love this life I am living.

Acting like my nine-to-five
Is all that I need to keep me alive
While down inside my soul is dying.

Putting on the show
So folks won’t really know
That in reality I am a sellout.

I sold my hopes and dreams
For a loaf of bread and a pot of beans
And the comfort that comes with a weekly check.

But now that I’ve counted the cost
And surveyed what I have lost
I’m trying to figure out how to buy it back.

My performance art
Is my performance heart
Trying to convince myself I don’t miss the stage

That it’s alright to work for the man
As long as I get all you can
And “so what” if I end each night crying.

Mourning the loss of my creative fire
And all that burning desire
Now eats away at what’s left of my sanity.

Trying always to ignore
The pain bubbling deep within
And persuade myself that ambition is vanity.

But is it vanity to crave elevation
To want to climb out of your situation
And live a life where you can get paid for what you love to do?

Who said “I’d always have to work for somebody”
And never really get to be happy
Tell me does that seem fair to you?

My performance art
Is my performance heart
Putting on shows daily for the masses.

But this performer’s tired of this act
So I think I’ll pack my sack
And move on down the road to happiness.

Show’s over!

4 comments:

  1. Superb expression of a deep Truth. I really get your emotion and your INTENT on this, Kenyetta! May your Voice be heard loud and strong on every major stage in the world! I'll stand in overnight lines to hear you sing!!!

    Silvia Pancaro
    www.MoonCoach.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly can relate to this .. a friend sent me your blog link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see my friend Amias beat me to replying. :-)

    This portion is something I've been asking myself all year :
    But is it vanity to crave elevation
    To want to climb out of your situation
    And live a life where you can get paid for what you love to do?

    Life shouldn't be wasted on trying to stay alive till we die.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you know about Blogblast for Peace day? It's Nov 5th and last year we had hundreds of bloggers participating. I hope you'll be joining us and adding your name to the list. :-)

    http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2009/10/peace-globe-day-countdown.html

    ReplyDelete