Friday, May 8, 2020

A Daughter's Tribute


 Written for and spoken at the homegoing service of my Mother Esther M. Brown on 3/21/2020


I have written many things for and about my mother Esther Brown over the years, but this was by far the most difficult. How do I encapsulate the way she impacted my life in just a few words. I’ve stopped and started writing 4 different tributes trying to do so. Then I decided to keep it simple and meaningful, the way she would want it.

My mother was my first example of personal style, grace under pressure, and poise. She showed me what faith looked like in practice, teaching me not only the power of prayer but the prudence of faithful action. She encouraged my curiosity and intellectual pursuits. She supported my spirit of adventure and drive even when I know it sometimes scared her. She always allowed me an opinion, even when she didn’t agree with it. And she was the one who taught me to love words. A gift that opened the world to me.

I think the thing about her that shaped me the most as a developing person, was that she allowed me to share what I was learning as I discovered the world, with her, without condescension. In that, she taught me one is never too old to learn or too young to teach; And to value everyone’s contribution. I love her more than I can possibly express or maybe ever showed. There was never a day I doubted her love for me, not one. And every good thing I am today is because she was the one chosen by The Most Beloved to guide me into this human experience called life.

I love you Mommy. It was an honor to be loved by you. And I find such comfort in knowing that you and dad now sit together in the cloud of witnesses rooting us on. May you both rest together in the presence of the Most High until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment